Four projects were awarded grants by the Historic Houses Foundation in early 2020.
Above the village of Brightling is a landmark visible across the Weald. Neither church tower nor folly, this pyramid is a mausoleum built in 1810 in the churchyard of St Thomas à Becket to ensure the immortality of Jack Fuller of Brightling Park. Funds from the Historic Houses Foundation will repair the failing mortar and spalling stonework of the building.
Roofs are the vulnerable point of many country houses and the perimeter valley gutter at Langton Hall on the banks of the River Swale in Yorkshire is no exception. Leaks have plagued the Fife family since they moved into the house in 1996 and re-roofing can no longer be avoided. Grant aid from the Historic Houses Foundation has been the catalyst for the project.
An alarming lean to the 18th century clocktower at Norton Conyers in Yorkshire, exposes the serious degradation of the supporting beams. The repair of the clocktower will be the latest part of a continuing restoration programme begun by Sir James and Lady Graham in 1986. Funds from the Historic Houses Foundation will enable the urgent start of work before the fabric deteriorates to a dangerous state.
Belsay Hall in Northumberland is one of the earliest and most remarkable Greek Revival buildings in the country. The rainwater drainage system was more suited to the Mediterranean than the North of England and the Historic Houses Foundation will help English Heritage, who maintain this extraordinary house, to fund the repair of the roof.